|David Bentley with HCHS president John Anderson examining the|
City of Belleville General Leger No. 8. in this 1988 picture.
Source: Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County
Intelligencer Negative fonds
The walk on Sunday the 19th of August focused on the Coleman Ward of Belleville- its architecture and its place in the history of Belleville's development.
The following pictures and words were supplied by David.
The first Loyalist refugees came to the front of Hastings County in 1784. Two of the first settlers were the families of Captain George Singleton and Lieutenant Isaac Ferguson who set up a trading post on the river the native people called "Sagonaska". For a brief period of time the area was known as "Singleton’s Creek". Both men died in the spring of 1790. By 1800 other notable Loyalist were in this area - John Taylor, James Mc Nabb, John Simpson and his wife, Margaret, and Asa Yeomans. The village did not extend further north than Dundas Street. Beyond were scattered farms and woods. The land we are now standing on originally belonged to the settler, John Taylor, who sold it to John Meyers.