Orland French brought a cake to the Hastings Heritage Centre to recognise and thank the Archive Angel volunteers for their help in making the Society's 2011 Annual Banquet a success.
In the picture below, starting on the left and proceeding clockwise around the table: Elizabeth Mitchell, Katharine Mills, Lorna Garbutt, Donna Fano, Orland French, Mary Jane Throop, Erin Ryan, Marilyn Hughes, Jeanne Delaney, Kieran Delaney and Laurel Bishop (back of head only); Archivist Sharon White is standing on the left, and on the right are Dick Hughes, Adele Dibben, Bill Kennedy, Lois Foster, .
Photos by Nick White
29 October 2011
The political dignitaries of Hastings County were well represented.
|City of Belleville Councillor Garnet Thompson, County of Hastings Warden Jo-Anne Albert, and Quinte West Councillor Ron Hamilton all brought greetings from their respective municipalities.|
|Other dignitaries attended, including Prince Edward-Hastings MPP Todd Smith and MP Daryl Kramp.|
|Senator Mike Duffy with the man he calls his mentor – Peter C. Newman, Companion of the Order of Canada and Honorary Chair of the Society's Capital Campaign Committee.|
In his talk Senator Duffy encouraged the community to rally behind the Society's push to create an archives where people can learn more about local history and access the wealth of information that is their heritage.
For the article in the Belleville Intelligencer click on this link. Opens in a new window.
For additional pictures of the event click on this album link. Album opens in a new window.
Story and pictures Nick and Sharon White
18 October 2011
|Uniforms from around 1900|
He recounted how Belleville’s police service was officially established in 1836 with the appointment of Henry Avrill as high constable and Hiram Fulford as bailiff. The village had at that time a population of about one thousand souls and encompassed an area of just over six hundred acres at the mouth of the Moira River.
Its early beginnings make Belleville's police force one of the oldest police services in Canada, pre-dating the Kingston Police (founded 1843), the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (founded in 1873) and the Ontario Provincial Police (1909).
Belleville moved from village status to that of a town in 1850 and to a city in 1878. By this time the city Police Department had expanded to six members headed by Hugh McKinnon. The population had grown to nearly ten thousand people living in an area covering 1,760 acres.
A little over a half century later during World War II the force consisted of ten members. In 2010 there were 132 members of the police force.
A more complete history of the Police force can be read in the November issue of the Society's newsletter Outlook.
A copy of that edition can be viewed by clicking this link.
The link will open in a new window.
|John Lowry and Staff-Sgt. Tony MacKinnon display equipment once used by Belleville's Police Force|
Pictures Nick White, story based on Outlook article